Saturday, January 3, 2009

Running in the new year




The title is supposed to look like a play on words, like 'ringing' in the new year, but now that I read it, it just looks like a post about running in the new year... which, I guess it is! So, first, happy new year. 2009 has arrived, which means only one more year of the fun New Years glasses (me, above, modeling the 2008 version). Or maybe the glasses makers will just get creative for post-2010. Yes, that was one of the first thoughts to cross my mind when pondering the new year.

So, I've decided to make a resolution of sorts. I am not usually the resolution type. Never fail the gym is packed with new years resolutioners who keep it up for like five weeks (although maybe not so in this year's economy), and I'm generally just bad at making an absolute resolution to do something. But I was inspired by my friend Steve. I learned that he had set a goal for 2008 to do 100 runs. That's roughly one run per every four days. Now, I run a lot more often than that, but I thought it was kind of cool that he had set a goal to do an activity that he already enjoyed doing to keep fit.

My resolution is even more simple than that: keep track of my mileage. I figure I must run at least 500 miles a year, probably more like 600 or 700, but the thing is I'm just not sure. However, next year at this time, hopefully I'll be able to look back and say "Woooow I ran xxx miles this year!" in that same way that Flavor Flav says "Woooow" when he sees a fine woman.

Anyone brave enough to make some resolutions of their own?

No comments: